Since receiving her Ph.D. in Statistics, Dr. Klemm, The Numbers Lady, has specialized in explaining mathematical concepts via every-day language.
Dr. Klemm has taught students from grades 7 through graduate school, as well as judges and juries via storytelling. While on the faculty of Georgetown University School of Business she received the 1982 Decision Sciences Instructional Award from the American Institute of Decision Sciences. For the past 25 years she has run her own research firm, Klemm Analysis Group, specializing in data collection and analysis.
During 2010 Dr. Klemm conceived and produced a musical, Cookin Up Numbers. Audience response encouraged her to establish NumbersAlive! in 2011 to introduce children to world patterns and numeric relevance via storytelling using the fun and friendly number characters of Team Ten. Her award-winning first book, NumbersAlive! Books for Young Travelers – Washington DC, was published in April, 2012. Hello Numbers, which introduces the number characters, was published in 2014.
Presentations and teaching:
- Selected by the U.S. Department of State to teach STEM principles using sports to teachers & coaches of K-college level students in Jamaica and Barbados (Aug. 2012 & Jun. 2014)
- Invited to present “World Numbers” to children and parents at American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Family Science Day (Feb. 2014)
- Invited keynote speaker for STEM night at Gibbs Elementary School, MD (Apr. 2014) and STEMAZing conference for pre-K to 3rd grade teachers in Tucson, AZ (May 2014)
- Numerous presentations to educators, including: “Exploring Mathematical Concepts in A Blended Learning Environment” (Texas STEM Conference and VA Math Teachers Conference) and “From 0 to 9: Bridging the Gap between STEM Understanding and Primary Education” (Emory University) (Oct. 13 – Mar. 2014)
- Led salon event as part of TEDxFoggy Bottom (Oct. 2013)
- Spoke as a featured author at the Library of Congress Young Readers Center (Apr. 2013) and the USA Science & Engineering Festival (Apr. 2012 and Apr. 2014) and Tucson Festival of Books (Mar. 2014)
- Featured as a guest on NBC4 (Apr. 2013)
- Led program entitled “By the Numbers: Manipulation, Rankings and Fairness in Global Socio-Economics” at the World Affairs Council (Dec. 2012)
- Presented at schools & libraries in the Washington area, West Virginia, & Georgia (2011-2014)
- Taught number arts programs with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington (2011-2013)