Dr. Rebecca Klemm, also known as The Numbers Lady, recently returned from Barbados and Dominica, where she led programs at the invitation of the US Department of State. The focus was on teaching principles of math and science through sports. By learning about the timing of a sprinter’s run, inflation of soccer balls, holding the bat, speed of a tennis ball, etc., teachers and coaches learned how to create lessons for their students that use the scientific method to explore the math that underlies everything we do, even sports. Parents and students were able to meet and hear the Numbers Lady at two public events attended by hundreds of people.
Known as the Numbers Lady, Dr. Klemm “used her exuberant presentation skills to explain the complexities of math and science in everyday language, reinforcing math and science concepts through sports such as cricket, football, and track and field.”
Clement Vital, Learning Support Advisor for Mathematics in Dominica’s Ministry of Education, explained that the program was geared towards stimulating students to like math. “She is showing students different ways that you can make mathematics very, very lively and interesting.” He stated that the Dominica is “continuing to find and develop and seek assistance to make mathematics a fun, loving subject again, and we focus not only on the primary but also on the secondary levels.”
Click here to download our press release about the visit.
Press coverage includes:
- 6/13. “Ministry of Education Works Together with ‘Math Lady'” (PDF) – The Dominica Chronicle
- 6/10. “Numbers Lady Hosts Successful STEM Subjects Workshop” – SAT TV News Online
- 6/8. “This Week with Carol Roberts” – Voice of Barbados radio interview
- 6/6. “Meet The Numbers Lady” (PDF) – Hello! Youth Magazine
- 6/6. “Students Interact with the Numbers Lady” (PDF) – Hello! Youth Magazine
- 6/6. “Dr. Klemm – Making Learning Fun” (PDF) – Hello! Youth Magazine
- 6/6. “US Embassy helps promote math & science in Dominica” – Dominica Vibes
- 6/6. “‘Numbers’ Lady’ Promotes STEM in Dominica” – CBN4 News
- 6/6. “The Numbers Lady; a new perspective on Math” – Dominica News Online
- 6/5. “Numbers Lady to Host STEM Workshop” – SAT TV News Online- Dominica
- 6/3. TV interview on “Mornin’ Barbados” – CBC TV News, Channel 4
- 6/2. “Dr. Rebecca Klemm to promote STEM in Dominica” – Dominica Central Online
- 5/29. “Dr. Rebeccca Klemm’s Program” – Video by the US Embassy of Barbados in anticipation of the visit
- 5/29. “Dr. Rebecca Klemm, ‘The Numbers’ Lady’ to Promote STEM in Barbados June 1-4, 2014” – Bajan Reporter
- 5/26. “Dr. Rebecca Klemm, ‘The Numbers’ Lady’ to Promote STEM in Barbados June 1-4, 2014” (PDF) – Press release by the US Embassy in Barbados.